How Orthodontics Braces Can Correct Your Bite Issues?
You are probably aware that maintaining your teeth and gums free from tooth decay and gum disease must be on top of your oral health priorities when it is about preserving your healthy smile. But did you know that bad bite is one of the most common dental issues that frequently need to be addressed? And the best way possible is through orthodontics braces.
A normal bite, or occlusion, signifies the upper & lower jaw teeth meet properly. If your teeth and jaw alignment are out, you have a bad bite or malocclusion, which can induce extreme dental issues. Fortunately, orthodontics braces can restore your bite issues.
Common Bite Issues
Here is a list of common malocclusion:
- Overbite: Overbites happen when the upper front teeth stick out beyond the lower jaw teeth.
- Open bite: When the mouth is closed, the top and bottom teeth do not touch each other.
- Underbite: It is a dental condition where the lower front teeth stick out beyond the upper jaw teeth.
- Crossbite: Crossbite is a condition when the lower jaw is longer or fits behind the upper jaw.
- Overcrowded teeth: This is a dental condition when there is not much space for your teeth and they crowd together.
- Misplaced midline bites: In this condition, the center of the upper front teeth doesn’t match with the center of your lower teeth.
Issues Caused by Misaligned Teeth & Jaws
If you have any of the above bite issues, the sooner you get it treated the more effective your chances of avoiding oral problems are in life. Orthodontics braces for malocclusion can effectively restore a proper bite way to help you avoid the following issues:
- Tooth Sensitivity
- Chipped or cracked teeth
- Crowded or moving teeth
- Uneven wear and tear on your teeth
- Headaches, jaw pain, and jaw decay
- Periodontal diseases, like gum recession and bone loss
- Issues in talking, eating, or chewing
- Lower self-confidence due to the appearance of your smile
Orthodontics Braces For Tooth Alignment
Orthodontics can precisely adjust and align the teeth and jaws. To restore overcrowding, orthodontics braces can be utilized in children as young as the age of seven to extend the jaw and furnish more room for adult teeth. If you are a teen or adult, first you might need to have one or more teeth extracted, then orthodontics braces can be used to adequately space out the remaining teeth.
If your bite is misaligned because of your jaws, orthodontics braces can correct it. For instance, to correct an underbite, small rubber bands can be connected to orthodontics braces toward the front of the bottom teeth and the rear of the top teeth to slowly bring the bottom jaw back into alignment. Similarly, this goes for other bite issues as well, where braces are used to correct the malocclusion. Restoring a bite issue can take around 6 months to 2 years, depending on the severity of the case.
If you have queries about your teeth alignment issues, feel free to contact us today to schedule your appointment at our dental office in Twin Falls. The orthodontists of Green Acres Family Dentistry are willing to help you get a straight, healthy, & beautiful smile that you were missing out on due to your teeth alignment or bite issue.